When creating a Free Gift Promotion in AB Commerce, you can now specify a product code as the free gift item. This item can be a regular catalogue item, or a promotional item excluded from sale separately.
- Allow an item available for purchase separately to be the free gift
- Allow a promotional item (e.g. item provided from brand) which is not available for purchase to be the free gift
- Ability to manage stock on the free gift item
- Visibility on Order Emails and Dispatch Notes of the free gift item as a line item
Setting up a Free Gift Promotion
When logged into the AB Commerce Admin, navigate to Marketing > Promotions
Select Add New Promotion and then Add a Free Item/Gift Promotion type
In the admin screens for your promotion, complete each of the sections.
You will need to add:
- Promotion Title - this is required and appears in order emails and dispatch documents
- Product Code - code for free gift item - this is optional, but highly recommended
- Promotion Text - this appears on product list and detail pages, as well as in the basket
Where the free item is a regular catalogue item available for purchase separately, including it here will help manage stock levels and provide visibility to the end customer and those picking/packing the order.
If you have a promotional items which are not for sale separately or which don't need to be included in the site otherwise, you can set up a product and leave it as Inactive. This means it will not appear on the front-end of the site, but will be included in these Free Gift promotion as a line item, which would likely be useful to both your end customer and those picking/packing the order.
Decide what you will apply this promotion to. This is where you define the items must be purchased for the free gift to be added, so might be a category, a brand, product group, or even a single item.
The options to Add to Existing Promotions or Leave Existing Promotions in Place only apply to prices which have manually been discounted or are included in a Bonus Promotion, i.e., Was-Now pricing.
Usually, the best option here is to Add to Existing Promotions, so that your customer can get their free gift even if the item is also at a reduced price.
Lastly, you can specify if you want to include items which are not normally allowed discounts by Including No Discount Allowed Products.
Choose Automatically. Do not use the Automatically Based on Items Added triggers for this type of promotion. More complex free gift set ups will likely be accommodated by the Bundles functionality instead. You can read more in the full article about Bundles.
Give the promotion a sort order, the default is 1000 and promotions with a lower number will be given priority (e.g. a promotion with a sort order of 500 will be applied before a promotion with a sort order of 1000) Where all promotions share the same sort order, the most recently added promotion will be applied first.
Select and set up any restrictions on the free gift promotion you require.
Determine the active status of the promotion, either:
- Always, Starting Now - gets the promotion live immediately
- Within Specific Start/End Dates - allows you to get future promotions set up in advance
- Deactivated - turns the promotion off
Due to website caching, it may take up to 30 minutes for a promotion to appear on site if you have selected Always, Starting Now, or disappear from site if you have selected Deactivated on a previously live promotion.
Save & Complete Promotion
Lastly, click Save to ensure your promotion is added to the site.