To send an email to your customers who have opted in, just follow the normal steps in MailChimp for sending an email with the following specific steps:
- When selecting the LIST, select _ABC_WebsiteSubscribers
- Before sending the email, the MailChimp template will have the following at the bottom of the email. Change the text "You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list" to be "You can unsubscribe from this list" and set the UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS LIST link at the bottom of the page to be the following url: https://www.yourdomainname.com/unsubscribe
(Change www.yourdomainname.com to be your website url)
GDPR Warning - Unsubscribe Link
The reason why you need to add a different Unsubscribe link instead of the options that come with MailChimp is that the user unsubscribes through the website and then the website notifies MailChimp to change the status of the email to "Unsubscribed". This is for GDPR purposes so that the website has a master copy of all emails subscribed and unsubscribed and when they did.
This means that you can only use this unsubscribe link on emails sent to ABC_WebsiteSubscribers so if you have other lists in MailChimp that you want to send emails to, this unsubscribe link will not work.
Checklist for Sending out an Email
Before sending out an email, ensure that the following are in place:
- If this is the first time sending out an email, you will see that there is a new list called ABC_WebsiteSubscribers - go into the settings for this list and ensure you have entered everything you want including your company name, address and the default from name, from email, subject and language.
- Send yourself a test email first and ensure that:
- The subject of the email looks good and people will want to open it.
- The from email looks good and if you reply to the email, it will go to the correct email address.
- Check all the text spelling is correct, the promo codes do work, and the prices are also correct and all the hyper links are working.
- Ensure the unsubscribe link goes to the UNSUBSCRIBE page on your website and NOT the mail chimp unsubscribe page.