- Check that the field names (the headings on your csv file) are exactly as detailed in the bulk import/update support articles. The headings are case sensitive.
- Ensure there are no extra columns in your csv file.
- Ensure there are no blank lines in your csv file.
- Ensure you are using the correct bulk import.
Common upload errors
Error "Cannot set column 'Title'. The value violates the MaxLength limit of this column"
Some fields have maximum lengths. You can use the length formula & conditional formatting to highlight any fields which exceed the maximum length.
"Column 'XXXX' does not allow nulls"
- Check if you have a blank line in your csv file - if so delete the blank row
- Check if you have left a required field blank - eg a ProductCode. If so add required information.
- If you are not seeing any blanks, open the csv file in a text editor like Notepad in Window or TextEdit on a Mac. Check if you see commas after your rows of data as in the example below. Sometimes excel can add extra rows, this may happen if there is a space or other character in the rows underneath your data. Delete any of these blank rows.
Sorry, the following column is either invalid or has a spelling mistake in it's name: Column3
You can get this error if excel thinks you have data in a column that you are not using. In my example Column3 (the 4th column in the csv file) is blank, i am not using it. It may be that there is a space or something in one of the fields in that column.
Open the csv file in a text editor like Notepad in Window or TextEdit on a Mac. Check if you see commas after your data.
To remove these commas open your file in excel and delete the columns to the right of your data and save. Check in your text editor that the errors are no longer appearing.
The CREATE UNIQUE INDEX statement terminated because a duplicate key was found
The key will uniquely identify a record, eg the ProductCode will uniquely identifies a product, two products can not have the same ProductCode.
You will get this error if you try to upload the same key in more than one record (line) in your csv file eg
- Upload a product file with the same product code used more than once
- Add the same brand or category to the same product more than once in your file
Check the text of the error, it will tell you what key you have included twice. In my example uploading products the text said "The duplicate key value is (98776)" because i had used ProductCode 98776 on two lines in my csv file.
If you think you may have a lot of keys which you have used more than once you can use conditional formatting to highlight them in your spreadsheet.