Google Shopping is a google service that allows consumers to search for, compare, and shop for physical products across different retailers who have paid to advertise their products. Google Shopping results show up as thumbnail images that display each product’s retailer and price and can appear in the main search engine results page or under the shopping tab.
Note that to make use of Google Shopping, retailers will need to use two platforms:
- Google Merchant to manage your product feed
- Google Adwords to create and manage your shopping campaigns.
For more information about Google Shopping take a look at their Beginners Guide
How the abcommerce Google Shopping Integration works
The abcommerce Google Shopping Integration maps all of the products from the categories you select on abcommerce to their corresponding Google Category Code.
Products in these categories will appear in Google Shopping and their price and stock will automatically update every 4 hours.
Primary Category only used
When you map a website category (and it's sub-categories) to a Google category, we only look at products where the product's primary category is this category (or one of it's sub-categories). This means that we don't check secondary categories or dynamic categories.
Sub-categories inherit the parent category's google category code
Note that if you don't map a category to a Google category code, but one of it's parent categories has mapped to a Google category code, the category will inherit the Google category code from the parent category that it is nearest to that has the Google category code.
How to set up the Automatic Integration with Google Shopping
Use the Google Support article https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324436?visit_id=636909385153322954-1064827187&rd=1 to download the Google Category Codes (see example below)
You need to select the most appropriate Google category code for each of the relevant abcommerce categories.
In some categories, the best match may be at the primary category level - while certain sub-categories may have a more appropriate Google category code to map to.
Once you are ready to map the category codes, take the following steps:
- Log in as web admin.
- Click MARKETING - GOOGLE SHOPPING in the admin menu bar - and you will see all your categories (including any inactive categories).
- To map a category to a Google Category code, just click ADD beside the category and a pop-up will appear allowing you enter the Google Category code for that category.
- You will see that any sub-categories that don't already have a Google Category code also inherit that category code. You can override the code for a sub-category by clicking ADD beside the sub-category.
- You can remove a Google Category code by clicking DELETE beside the category.
How to exclude specific products
If you would like to exclude specific products from the integration, take the following steps:
- In the screen above, click VIEW EXCLUDED PRODUCTS.
- To add one or more products to exclude, click ADD PRODUCTS TO EXCLUDE and enter the product code(s) to exclude. If there is more than 1 product to exclude, separate the product codes with commas.
- Note that you can exclude a product from all integrations (e.g. also from the Instagram integration which works in a similar way) by checking the "Exclude from all Product Exports" checkbox.
Only sending Sale Items
If you would like to only export items that are on sale or on promotion (e.g. if your industry is too competitive for Google Shopping ads), email the help desk and they will configure this for you.
What to do after the Google Category mappings are completed
Once this is done, the Help Desk will provide you with a URL to use in the Google Feed
Using this url, follow the steps in this article, https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1219255?hl=en to set up the products in Google Merchant Center. You will need the following information
- Set Target Country to be IRELAND
- Set the currency to be EURO
- Set the feed Fetch Frequency to be EVERY 4 HOURS to ensure that your price and stock are kept up to date.
The same url will be used to maintain the feed, this feed includes the following fields
- sale price
- sale price effective date
- image link
- additional image link
- google product code